So, it's another week and a new month. I think after the weekend away, I've lost some steam. I didn't feel like doing anything today, so instead of berating myself for lack of motivation, I just went with the flow and gave myself a day off. I think the funk, malaise, or whatever it was is lifting so I'm hoping that tomorrow I can dive back into my writing with some enthusiasm.
I think Kiki posed a question about rewards in one of her recent posts & whether we should reward ourselves for doing our jobs. I say, yes, yes, yes! Facing the blank page is hard and sometimes the effort is invisible. It can take so long to get to the end of a draft and even longer to get to a defense manuscript, published article/book, etc that I like knowing that there's an immediate treat since the ultimate reward of seeing something in print takes forevah! That said, I must make a vow to stop shopping online between writing sessions. This is v. v. bad! ;)
- Continue morning pages each day.
- Freewrite 10 singlespaced pp of CH 1 of the academic book (finish writing about 1st novel of section)
- Draft 20 handwritten, wild, messy pages of the NOLA novel
- Type novel so far
- Read Cailtin Macy's Spoiled
- Start Edwige Danticat's Farming of Bones
- Blog post on novel writing process
- REWARD: take the novel out for a a guiltfree morning writing (maybe Sunday morning)