Monday, July 13, 2009

Vienna: Late check-in, new goals and READING BAN!!!



















Hi swimmers!


I hope you had a fantastic weekend. I did!
Well, last week's goals...
1. Portfolio (collection of short stories, some chapters of my novel and some critical theory pieces for MA application). I regret to say that, whilst I worked hard on it, I didn't manage to finish, which is starting worrying me. Since I haven't been able to dedicate much time to my creative writing lately, this week I found it extremely difficult to get started. I wouldn't focus, words wouldn't come out, frustation would creep up on me. Things started getting better after a while, which has taught me an interesting lesson, which I did know deep down: WRITING TAKES TIME and I NEED TO BE READY TO ALLOW MYSELF this time. Writing happens in time. That's the main problem I currently face, finding this consistent time, and I definitely will have to find a solution since I do not want to give up my dream of becoming a professional writer. Joining this group has been my first step to allow myself the time to write and I am so grateful for all the support. Thank you! (We'll need to make up something similar for the winter...)

2. Morning pages. 7/7. Total success here. And, you know what? Right now I couldn't do without them. Somehow they are working their magic.


3. Artist Date. After my 'rehearsal' I had a fantastic Artist Date. I bought colouring pencils, glue, watercolours, sketching book and all sort of delighful little things, and I made myself (with my own hands, I cannot believe it!) a present for a friend. From an ordinary note book I made a nice journal full of collages, pictures, drawings and a little story on it. I still need to finalise it but it's not going to take me long. I felt as if I were 8 again and it was such an enjoyable and liberating experience. When I went back home I cooked some new recipe from the Mediterranean Escapes: Sauted Squid on a chickpea and rocket bed. Delicious! You can see the picture above.


4. Reading. Didn't finish Saturday and NOW THE TIME'S COME!!!!!!! The BAN! I have to say that I was sort of ready for that, since Kiki had told us about it. But, anyway, any minute I realise of something new I can't do without reading. I really cannot imagine a life without reading. How isolating! Well, I'll just surrender to this week's rules and hopefully I will feel the benefits from this detox.


SO I APOLOGISE IN ADVANCE FOR MY DISAPPEARANCE THIS WEEK. I'LL STILL BE HERE BUT ONLY ON A WRITING MODE. I PROMISE I'LL CATCH UP WITH EVERYONE'S POSTS ON THIS AND YOUR PERSONAL BLOGS ON SUNDAY (AND I'M SOOOOO LOOCKING FORWARD TO SUNDAY!!!)


REWARD: I asked myself if that was deserved or underserved... I decided that it was SO DESERVED. Even though the results haven´t been what I expected, I have put the time, the work and the effort. As I said before, writing is a process that takes places in time, I cannot expect to see the results straight away. So, yes. I had it. And I was so so lucky that I found this offer: For the same price than 1 massage I got A FACIAL; BACK, SHOULDERS, NECK AND SCALP MASSAGE; FULL BODY POLISH. Isn't that AMAZING?????????? I could feel the wink from the Universe.

New goals:
  1. Writing, writing, non-stop writing on my portfolio. I should finish it by the end of this week. No excuses!
  2. Morning pages every morning.
  3. Post every day.
  4. Oops! Proper work... I need to think this one. What can I do that can be done without reading??? Maybe I'll start decluttering my office...

Have a lovely week. I'll read you all on Sunday. I'll miss you.

3 comments:

  1. Your gift and your dinner look AMAZING. I want to reach out to flip through the book, and nibble a piece of squid off your plate. Delicious, both of them! Maybe this week you could do some more photography too, because your photographs are wonderful!

    The realization both that writing takes time, and that you have to give yourself time to make that process happen is so crucial. We make the time for morning pages, but not for our other writing, how crazy is that? Isn't it funny how priorities mess with our heads when it comes to creative production?

    You can totally do it - just don't let yourself be idle, and don't give in to too much television as an alternative to reading. We miss you too, see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book looks wonderful!

    As for finding writing time, I struggle with the same thing. So, if I ever figure out a trick that works, I'll be sure to pass it along. :)

    The reading ban sounds scary--you and Kiki are so brave!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beauuuutiful books/journals, and that salad looks fantastic! Good luck on the reading ban... so tough! We'll be here when you return :)

    ReplyDelete